Iron deficiency anaemia
Folic acid deficiency anaemia
Vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia
Sickle cell disease
Anaemia of chronic disease
Select the most likely cause of anaemia from the list
above to match the scenarios given below:
1) A 25-year-old male has a macrocytic anaemia. He is on
long-term treatment with phenytoin sodium for epilepsy
2) A 58-year-old northern European female with a
macrocytic anaemia. She has blue eyes, white hair and has vitiligo.
3) A 23-year-old African patient presents with severe
pain in his femur and is found to be anaemic
4) A 53-year-old postmenopausal female presents with a
history of lethargy and is found to have a mass in the right iliac fossa.
5) A 58-year-old female with long standing rheumatoid
arthritis has a normocytic, normochromic anaemia. White cell count and
platelets are within normal limits. She has normal iron studies, her folate
and B12 levels are normal and there is no reticulocytosis.